Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Unfinished Business" an Art Collaboration with the Departed, for Day of the Dead

The right opportunity fell into my lap at just the right time. I was offered some wood pieces by a generous facebook friend (thanks Gary), that were partially carved by a departed woodcarving couple. Since I was again curating for Day of the Dead @ Guardino Gallery, "Unfinished Business" seemed a natural.....The above piece started with this little head square head wearing a hat....



His beard was cut down, eyes gouged out , face painted & his head reshaped, with my knives





I built a little boat for him, from old wood, with wheels that roll.



I cut and shaped the body, his limbs all move, and he can sit independently. He measures 12 inches long and is holding a cross.





Then from these three pieces , I chose the middle piece to work with. It was a post with a face in the middle. I cut the top head off and rounded all the edges.





I sketched out a spiky top





Cut them out. Then envisioned a swirly pattern all the way around .







Here's the sketch , that was then cut and shaped.




The shaping here, in progress.




The stain really makes the swirls, show up .





A little paint on the face really made his features pop out. I hope I did it justice. I call him "Totem of the trees" and he measures 15"





Altars are a big part of the Day of the Dead celebration. This one is @ Cargo in NW pdx. (link button is not cooperating)









I built one for the gallery adding vintage trims and putting a bight coat of paint.






It measures 44'x 17. The velvet inside had foam core to pin on messages of photos, inside is the floating heart in a frame called "Forever"






Then the cross, I built from salvaged wood , it has flickering bulbs , it measures 31x 21 it's called "Follow the Light" All work is for sale.




Finally...... here is a small sampling of work I have the honor to hang in the gallery tomorrow. So exciting to take the gallery from blank walls to cohesive show! Tune in for the transformation.

3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, Steph! Will be in next week to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening reception was campy fun and your art work is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--you really brought out the best in Totem of the Trees, he looks great! The pics of the show are wonderful, can't wait to go see it.

    ReplyDelete